Difference in Maintenance & Development between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
No matter if you use WordPress.com or WordPress.org, there’s no need to stress over continually improving, adapting and developing your WordPress websites to suit the needs of the world wide web.
The WordPress community and developers are constantly working hard to provide frequent updates to the core WordPress model, ensuring your WordPress website always has a strong foundation.
WordPress.com is a great option for those who don’t want to deal with anything technical and those who would rather not spend a great deal of time committing to ongoing WordPress website maintenance & development.
Using WordPress.com – For Your WordPress Websites
The developers at WordPress are constantly taking care of all things development and maintenance for their users, so there’s no need to worry about plugins crashing after an update or your WordPress websites going down due to a problem with your host.
The choice whether you want to or don’t want to develop and maintain your WordPress websites yourself completely depends on your ability, skills, and how much time and effort you wish to put into caring for your website.
Using WordPress.org – For Your WordPress Websites
Of course, there will be some degree of difficulties present when you host your own WordPress website.
As opposed to hosting a website with WordPress.com, you are fully responsible for the development and maintenance of your own website.
You will be responsible for the following things:
- Installing the WordPress software
- Setting up your WordPress website
- Organising your server for VPS and dedicated web hosting
- Periodically updating your plugins and themes
- Keeping up to date with the current version of WordPress
- Ensuring your website is secure for your visitors
- Protecting your website against spam and hackers
- Manually backing up your website in case it goes down
- Resolving website and server problems should they arise